A caravan awning is effectively a three-sided tent that provides valuable additional floor space. It attaches by threading into the awning rail running along the sides and top of the caravan. Awnings can make a massive difference; not just in terms of creating extra physical space – more than doubling your living area – but transforming the way in which you use your caravan. As such they are an essential piece of kit for most caravanners, although some do manage without.
Choosing an awning is nearly as important as choosing which caravan to buy. There are three main types of awning available on the market, most of which will fit any caravan unless you have a pop top or folding van.
Types of awning
A porch awning fits over your caravan door and provides a small area in which to remove wet coats and muddy boots before entering the van. They are also ideal for storing beach items or bikes.
A full awning is much bigger. Running along the whole length of the caravan it gives you plenty of space to relax under cover; large zipped doors and removable panels can be open or closed depending on the weather.
Canopy awnings can either be temporarily or permanently fixed to the side of your caravan. The permanent ones often have a pair of integral poles that act like legs and some also include fabric walls.
You can also get an awning annex. This replaces one of the side panels to provide extra space, usually for sleeping.
Things to think about when choosing awnings
With so many different types and sizes available, choosing the right awning for you and your caravan can be difficult. You want to make sure you’ve considered all your requirements – both now and in the future – rather than impulse buying the first awning you see on sale somewhere.
• How much do you want to spend? This will determine the quality of fabric, poles, clips, fixings etc
• How much space are you looking to achieve? This will determine the size and configuration of your awning
• What about side openings and windows?
• Do you want an integral groundsheet?
• Do you want an annex?
• Will you need a sleeping pod for extra guests?
Benefits of buying your awning from Broad Lane
Price shouldn’t be your only consideration when choosing where to buy your awning from.
• Broad Lane are awning specialists
• We have a permanent indoor display in our two showrooms
• Our staff are trained abroad directly by the awning manufacturers
• We will take the time to show you how to erect/take down the awning
• We stock an extensive awning, annex and porch range from the budget end ‘kite’ material type up to the top-end Isabella awning
For more information, have a look online at our awnings range. Better still, come in to one of our showrooms and view them close up. We’d love to see you and help you choose!
If you need any further assistance with awnings for your caravan, why not give us a call on 01789 763432 or email email@example.com.
Awning size guide
If you're looking to purchase a caravan awning, you will need to measure your caravan in order to determine the size of the awning you require.