Register Your Trailer to Take it Abroad

On the 28 March 2019 the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) launched its ‘Register Your Trailer to Take it Abroad’ service. 

What does it mean for me? 

Under this service all non-commercial trailers with a gross weight over 3500kg must now be registered with the DVLA before being driven internationally. Non-commercial use trailers travelling internationally below this weight (3500kg) or any trailers being used solely in the UK, or between the UK and Ireland, do not need to register with this new service. 

If you have a trailer, which is subject to the new registration process, is being used abroad, the user must carry the relevant trailer registration documents with them.


How can I register? 

The registration system is an online service, which will help you establish whether you need to register your trailer or not. You can access it on the GOV.UK website, where there is a step-by-step process to walk you through the criteria and process for registration. Before you start the process you will need; the name of the trailer manufacturer, the trailers vehicle identification number (VIN) or chassis number, the gross unladen weight of the trailer, an email address, a debit or credit card. 


What does it cost? 

To register a trailer for the first time it is £26 

To issue a new registration certificate for a new register keeper it is £21

For a replacement UK trailer registration certificate it is £10


Want more information? 

For further information email [email protected] or go directly to

Contact Form

For more information as to how Broad Lane can help you please fill and submit the form below

Leave this empty:

Please note by sending us a message you are agreeing to our privacy policy.

Follow us on Facebook Youtube Twitter

Sign up to our newsletter

News, offers & events direct to your inbox!